04 October 2009

Day 9 - Driving to Edinburgh

It was nice to wake up in Cumbernauld Village. The town is quaint and restful. The night we spent there helped me to be in a better mood. I could look out the window and watch the locals gather outside a bar. We were on Main Street which was very small but not the smallest road I've driven on.

When we went down to breakfast, we were the first down there. Nick and I got breakfast and then the other two couples joined us. Nick decided to go back upstairs and hang out while I stayed downstairs and chatted with the adults. One couple was Scottish, living in Australia and the other was also Scottish but living in England. We had a lot of laughs and the Scottish gentleman who lives in Australia gave me some of his Black Pudding. I said that I would try that and Haggis when I came over so 1 down and 1 to go. It wasn't bad, it wasn't awesome either (and it definitely didn't compare to the Bread Pudding) but it was edible. =)

After breakfast I went back upstairs and packed. Nick and I dragged all the stuff to the car (we had to go up/down two steep sets of stairs to get to our room) and then I went back to pay. Annette and I talked for awhile and then the monkey and I headed for Edinburgh.

I must confess that on the way I picked up McDonalds for him. He had been really good the day before (again) and so I had told him that he deserved some McDonalds. The interesting thing about the McDonalds that we went to was that the music is much louder than at our McDonalds in the States. A strange thing (at least by American culture) happened...one lady who was sitting next to us asked me to keep an eye on her kids while she went to the restroom. She had a baby and another kid who looked about 4 or 5 years old. The older kid was in the baby's face so I was trying to get Nick to entertain the kid while I watched the baby. We were able to distract the older kid and after a few minutes the mother came back.

From the McDonalds we could see ASDA which is like a King Soopers with a bit more. It's not quite like Target or anything but they do have clothes, some electronics, toys, etc. The shop itself was quiet large but mostly food...so I guess like the opposite of a Super Target...where Target has mostly clothes and other things and then some food, ASDA has mostly food and then some of the other things.

We enjoyed walking around ASDA...they have an escalator that's just like one of those moving walkways that are in the airport. It didn't have any steps on it, just a slanted upwards moving walkway. Very cool. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment